Wednesday, April 24, 2013

1,000 Gifts

(Hope Chassen)

If you've read the book One Thousand Gifts, you'll know what I am talking about when I say I'm going to write part of my "thankful list" to tell you how things went to day. The author harbored in her heart the burdens of a sister's tragic death in childhood, raising six kids on a farm with endless financial stress, and the death of two nephews as infants from the same disease, one right after the other.  Her release was through learning to see God'e grace in everything, and to thank Him for all things in good times and bad, big and small.  She kept a journal on the kitchen counter and entered things she could find to celebrate no matter what the day handed her. The goal was for 1,000 entries, but it became a lifestyle.  I was inspired to take the same frame of mind, so here is my news in a thanksgiving list format.

1. I have insurance.
2. Dr. surgeon Imler is a nice person who answers questions well.
3. He offered sympathy, a very non sterile trait.
4. I might be able to choose between a partial or full mastectomy, dependent on MRI tomorrow and how much it has spread.
5. I can recover by Tim's graduation and then chemo starts.
6. My hormone levels are perfect for after care hormone treatment receptivity. (My husband was surprised about this one.)
7. My friends are going to be with me in heaven forever because they are all busy talking to God on my behalf.
8. They are talking to God on our behalf, all the Chassens!
9. Ben and I came out to the appointment with more peace than when we went in.
10. My friend Kirsten Loy who started chemo Monday felt good the yesterday and came to our sons' lacrosse game.


"I am the vine and My Father is the vinedresser." John 15:1

Heavenly Father does the careful pruning of a branch like me. Tonight when I gather to pray with some  sweet friends, I will cry out to the Father for healing along with them,  but then I will also be ready for some pruning if the Sovereign Lord chooses to "trim me up" through the medical field.  Either way, He is Lord and I love Him.

2 comments:

  1. Hey sweetie, This is Leora. I happened upon this by Providence. I had no idea! Know that we are praying for you and that I am already inspired by your faith and your list of blessings. I know that God will be glorified through this and He has a perfect plan for you and your family. He is good and He is never changing. Amen! Love you, sister <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm praying, too! Read that book 1,000 Gifts while in Khartoum and loved it. It is a great way to live. Love you always, Cathy

    ReplyDelete